Partial Quotients Division for iPad & iPhone
This app can be used to teach and study the partial quotients division method. The app is easy to use and it has an intuitive interactive interface with customizable colors and other settings. The user can solve random and custom division problems.
The partial quotients division method
The traditional long division method can be difficult to understand because it is so abstract. In the partial quotients method the student can make a series of estimates and then add the estimated quotients together.
In the example 992/8 the first estimation can be 100, which leaves 192. Next estimation can be 20 which leaves 32. Now the student knows that 8 goes 4 times into 32 and the result can be found by adding up the partial quotients 100, 20 and 4.
Each student can use the quotients that he or she finds the easiest.
In the Everyday Mathematics curriculum the partial quotients division method is the focus algorithm for division.
Easy to use
After the user solves each operation or inputs a new estimate, the correct answer will fly to the right place. If the user presses the wrong button or gives an impossible estimate the answer will appear above the keyboard but it will not move.
- The dividend can have from 2 to 5 digits
- The divisor can have 1 or 2 digits
- Random and custom problems
- The current operation can be hidden
- The operands of the current operation can be highlighted
- Colors of the interface can be changed
- The speed of the animations can be set
- Custom interfaces for iPad and iPhone